Bikini Atoll liveaboards

Bikini Atoll liveaboards2019-04-12T13:54:33+01:00
Back to FAQs

While some batteries may be available to purchase on board, please bring extras if your personal dive equipment may require a unique size. Because of the remote locations in which our vessels operate, there is limited or no access to battery recycling facilities. To help us with responsible tourism we kindly request you bring home your own spent batteries to be recycled or disposed of properly. Alternatively, consider using rechargeable batteries as there are plenty of sockets to plug in a charger on board.

Bikini Atoll: Arrival Procedure2019-07-03T11:09:38+01:00

Please be aware that there are specific requirements for your arrival in Kwajalein for Bikini trips. For full details, please read the following documentation: Procedure for guests arrival in Kwajalein for Bikini

Bikini Atoll: is it safe to dive in a former nuclear testing site?2018-10-23T09:43:54+01:00

Yes it is safe to dive in Bikini Atoll. While there were a number of nuclear bombs detonated during tests by the US military between 1946 and 1958, water is an excellent insulator and the area has been open to diving since 1996. The amount of radiation to which divers are exposed from the shipwrecks is negligible. In over six decades since the bombs were tested, the marine life has recovered and is flourishing in terms of abundance and diversity. However, it is not possible to visit the land of Bikini Atoll, nor should you attempt to bring wreckage up to the surface. Pilfering is hazardous and forbidden.

Bikini Atoll: Waiver Form2019-09-23T14:20:31+01:00

The waiver form needs to be completed and signed before your first dive. The waiver form will be sent to you in your departure pack and is also available to download on our ‘Forms to Download’ page. If you forget the form then don’t worry, you can sign it once you are on board M/Y Truk Master.

Diving: Bikini Atoll2019-07-11T06:48:38+01:00

The wrecks of Bikini Atoll all lie at depths beyond recreational dive limits, with most starting around 50 meters. Required certification is TDI Extended Range or PADI Tec 50 or equivalent, with previous experience with wreck penetration. As most of the diving in Bikini Atoll will be extended range, there will be 2 technical dives offered most days. Each diver is responsible for planning their own dive with their dive buddy, with the assistance of the Cruise Director who is familiar with diving the wrecks of Bikini Atoll. For safety, there is a mandatory 4-hour surface interval between dives and an afternoon off mid-trip (optional land tour and beach BBQ will be offered instead).

Diving: Decompression or technical dives?2019-11-05T05:33:53+00:00

Decompression diving is common in Truk Lagoon and mandatory at Bikini Atoll. M/Y Truk Master is equipped with a ”Deco Bar” under the dive platform. There is a range of technical cylinders available to hire, as well as Sofnolime, helium and oxygen to purchase. Cylinders and Sofnolime are very limited and MUST be requested in advance using the “Truk Master Tech Diving Form, which can be downloaded here:

General Foreign Travel Advice2020-02-04T06:55:21+00:00

For the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passport and visa information, please visit

The U.S. Department of State website, also has essential travel advice and tips for North Americans.

M/Y Truk Master : Rebreathers2019-11-05T05:54:58+00:00

M/Y Truk Master is equipped for supporting the rebreather diver: there are booster pumps and stage tanks available on board. We can also supply Oxygen and CO2 absorbent (Molecular Products 797 Sofnolime). The scrubber is charged per full 4.5kg tub and O2 is charged per fill.

Pre-booking of any rebreather supplies is essential to guarantee availability for you. Please contact our reservations team to place your order and for up-to-date prices.


  • We DO NOT have M26 valves or adapters on board. Guests are advised to bring their own if they need them.
  • We cannot supply pre-pack sofnolime cartridges for rebreather units such as Poseidon.
  • Spare oxygen cells and specialist rebreather tools are not available in Truk so divers should bring their own.
M/Y Truk Master: Alcohol2019-09-23T14:19:09+01:00

A range of alcohol is available for purchase. However, Cava is uncommon.

M/Y Truk Master: Can I take a dive course on board?2019-09-23T14:16:55+01:00

We are unable to offer any diving courses on M/Y Truk Master.


M/Y Truk Master: Child policy2019-09-23T14:11:29+01:00

No children under the age of 16 (unless full charter) and 16 – 18 year olds must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

M/Y Truk Master: Clothing and footwear2019-09-23T14:09:53+01:00

Dress code on board our yacht is very casual and most guests feel comfortable in little more than swim wear, shorts and t-shirts. However, we ask our guests to put a t-shirt over their swimwear while seated at the dining area. A sweater is advised for cooler nights, particularly after multiple dives. Guests prefer bare feet on board the yacht; however island visits will require sturdy sandals or trainers.

M/Y Truk Master: Dietary requirements/ preferences2019-09-23T14:08:59+01:00

All special food requirements whether allergy or simply personal preference can be catered for. Please inform us prior to arrival to ensure there are plenty of dishes to suit your needs.

M/Y Truk Master: Electricity2019-09-23T14:05:53+01:00

On board the yacht there are both 220V and 110V with 2 round pin sockets (European style). Please make sure you bring a universal adapter with you if necessary.

M/Y Truk Master: First aid2019-09-23T14:05:32+01:00

On board we have a fully stocked first aid kit, medical grade oxygen and an AED. As water movement within Truk Lagoon is minimal, divers are recommended to fully clean their ears after each dive to avoid any risk of infection.

M/Y Truk Master: Insurance2019-09-23T14:04:59+01:00

All guests on board the M/Y Truk Master must have diver’s grade insurance covering the type of diving they are intending to participate in during their cruise.

M/Y Truk Master: Internet2019-09-23T14:03:37+01:00

High speed Wi-Fi satellite internet is available to purchase. A satellite phone is available to use in case of an emergency.

M/Y Truk Master: On board payments2019-09-23T14:03:16+01:00

Optional Extras
Any extra costs you may have on board must be paid in cash (GBP, EUR and USD, AU$ and NZ$). Although other currencies will be accepted on board, the banking restrictions make exchange rates unfavourable and it is therefore highly recommended that guests bring USD for use on board. Unfortunately, credit card payments cannot currently be accepted. Trips often finish in remote locations, it is best to bring extra cash in case there is no ATM or other method of withdrawing or exchanging money. Guests are advised to bring between 250-350 USD, in addition to marine park and port fees, for any incidental expenses such as beer, wine, cocktails, laundry, equipment rental, Truk Master merchandise, etc.

Tipping is a matter of personal choice. You may wish to leave a tip if you feel the crew has made your holiday extra special. Tips are divided equally amongst all the crew including dive guides.

M/Y Truk Master: Packing list2019-09-23T14:00:55+01:00

– Passport that is valid at least for six months beyond the period you plan to stay.
– Onward ticket departing within the maximum number of days you are allowed to stay in the country.
– Approx 250-350 USD spending money on the boat and tips in cash.
– Personal toiletries/medications (shower gel is provided on board)
– Sunscreen
– Insect repellent
– Hat/sunglasses
– Light coloured/light weight top for bright afternoons or breezy evenings
– Wetsuit.
– Dive certification card and log book
– Proof of diving insurance which covers emergency evacuation and recompression chamber costs
– Proof of travel insurance. Travel insurance is a vital aspect to booking a holiday, giving you protection against unforeseen circumstances that could otherwise spoil your holiday. It is important that you purchase travel insurance that properly covers your participation in whatever activities you may undertake at the time that you make your booking.

M/Y Truk Master: Smoking2019-09-23T13:59:14+01:00

Smoking on board is only permitted in designated (outdoor) areas.

M/Y Truk Master: Typical food on board2019-09-23T13:58:50+01:00

Meals on the M/Y Truk Master are served in a buffet layout in the dining area. Guests will start their day with eggs cooked to order. Lunch will generally offer a few choices of chicken, red meat or fish accompanied by salads or a vegetable dish. Evening meals are 3 courses, and guests will have a choice between 3 entrees and numerous side dishes. For snacking during the day, fresh fruit, cookies and other snacks are available on board. Sodas, water and fruit juices are available at all times, as are teas, coffee and hot chocolate.

M/Y Truk Master: What wetsuit is suitable?2019-09-23T13:57:57+01:00

Water temperatures in Truk Lagoon and Bikini Atoll generally range between 28-30°C. Either 3 mm or 5 mm full length exposure suit are suitable. A 3 mm suit is appropriate for those who do not feel the cold as much or do not intend deep diving (30m+). A 5 mm suit helps wreck divers to prevent injury. Technical divers are advised to bring appropriate exposure protection for prolonged deco-stops.

Passports & Visas2020-02-28T05:14:50+00:00

Visa Information

Republic of the Marshall Islands (Bikini Atoll): Visitors from the EU, UK, USA, and Taiwan are exempt from visas for stays up to 90 days. Many other nationalities can get a visa on arrival for $100 for stays up to 90 days.  Nationalities not covered by visa waiver  agreements or eligible for visa on arrival most obtain a visa prior to travelling to the Marshall Islands. processing time to visa applications can take up to 14 days.

Please see or check with your nearest Marshall Islands embassy or consulate for more details.

Transit Via Guam and Hawaii – ESTA or Visas

Non-US citizens will  need to apply for an ESTA under the Visa Waiver Program or acquire a USA visa before travelling. On-line processing of ESTA applications can take up to 72 hours. Please refer to the US Department of Homeland Security’s ESTA information page for further details and to apply:

IMPORTANT: All travellers wishing to enter the US under the VWP will need to hold a passport with an integrated chip (ePassport).

Passport Validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months beyond the period you intend to stay in the Marshall Islands.

Please visit for the most up to date advice.

Pre-Travel Health Advice2019-12-10T04:42:12+00:00


United Airlines requires that all travellers to the Marshall Islands have an official and sealed, up-to-date measles vaccination certificate from a health provider to enter the country on or after 10th December 2019.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have had the required vaccines for the countries you are visiting. Please contact your health adviser or pharmacy, at least 8 weeks prior to departure, for advice if you are unsure which vaccinations you require. We are unable to give specific advice on vaccines or other medical precautions as this information should be provided by a medical professional. Further travel health advice can be found at:

Insect-borne diseases

Take appropriate precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitos and other insects, see

Severe allergies

If you have a severe allergy, please inform us before you travel.

Travel: Departure tax2019-12-19T05:18:35+00:00

Guests travelling to Chuuk will be required to pay an airport departure tax of 30 USD. This can be paid upon departure at the airport. Guests travelling to the Marshall Islands will be required to pay an airport departure tax of 20 USD. This can be paid upon departure at the airport.

Travel: Do I need a transit visa?2020-02-28T05:22:21+00:00

All travellers transiting through US airports and United States territories to other destinations are required to obtain a transit visa before commencing their journey. This includes guests travelling via Guam or Hawai’i to Palau, Chuuk, Yap, and the Marshall Islands.

Citizens of countries who are eligible to enter the United States under the Visa Waiver Program need to obtain an ESTA (Electronic System of Travel Authorization) at least 72 hours before travelling. Please refer to the US Department of Homeland Security’s ESTA information page for further details and to apply:

For further details of US entry and visa requirements for transit and tourism purposes please contact your nearest US Embassy, or refer to the visa section of the U.S Department of State’s website:

Travel: Language and Religion2018-10-23T10:08:52+01:00

The national language of Truk is English, however there is a mix of Micronesian languages and local dialects. No particular religion is dominant in Truk. The Marshall Islands official languages are English and Marshallese, and Christianity is the predominant religion.

Travel: Passport and Visas2018-10-23T10:08:21+01:00

When booking a trip to Micronesia it is more than likely that you will transit in the United States or a US Territory (such as Guam). It is essential to ensure you are able to obtain a visa, or ESTA through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for entering the US.

From 1st April 2016, all travellers wishing to enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program will need to hold a passport with an integrated chip (an ePassport). British passports issued since October 2006 are ePassports and carry the internationally recognised symbol on the front cover.

You must also have proof of onward/return passage.

If you cannot get an ESTA through the Visa Waiver Program:
This might be the case if your country is not part of the Visa Waiver Program or if you have travelled to Sudan since 2011. You will need to apply for a visa with the USA embassy in your country of residence. ***Please be informed that this process can be lengthy***

For more information and to apply for an ESTA please visit

Please not that UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) aren’t valid for entry into the United States or transit through the United States under the Visa Waiver Program; if you’re planning to enter or transit through the US using an ETD you must apply for a visa from the nearest US embassy or consulate before you travel, or hold a valid lawful permanent resident card (often referred to as a ‘green card’), which you must have with you on arrival; you can leave the US using an ETD that has been issued in the United States.